Monday, February 24, 2014

February Block - Controlled Scrappy

On Sunday, I dug through my scrap bins and pulled out a few scraps to use in the February block of the Quilt Doodle BOM, Cozy Cabin, as well as a little fabric from my stash.  I actually made the cabin section of the block twice, before I was reasonably satisfied with the way this block looked.


The designer's pattern has the cabin made up of scrappy brown squares, but I couldn't settle on any particular combination of fabrics, so my first attempt used a single fabric, a brown with cream polka dot.  It looked kind of plain and I felt the roof would look better with a little overhang, so when I re-made the body of the cabin, I brought the sides in an inch on the right and the left.  I appliqued the door and window rather than piecing them in, and I added a few details, like the window shutters.  I kind of think the original scrappy pieced block design of the cabin made it look a little less plain, but I didn't want to make a third cabin, so I'll leave it as it is for now.  I might tinker with this one a little more as time goes by, but I'll wait to see what the designer has in store for us with the next blocks first.  You may remember that our January "block" was a row of snowman heads.  I think this will grow into a really cute quilt by the time we finish!

8 comments:

Tina said...

Cute, cute, cute! You are really doing great in constructing all kinds of houses :o) Seriously though, this is going to be very cute - love your color choices.

Anna said...

reasonable happy??? send it to me I will love it forever! lol

Sandy said...

Cute! Your scrappy background makes a very interesting and dimensional sky. The stars really twinkle!

Jana said...

I like your interpretation of this block. I was thinking about this BOM too, but I am waiting how it will turn, and in the meanwhile I am working on another projects. But as I see your progress I am thinking about changing my strategy and starting this BOM too in near future.

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Love your Cozy Cabin, it turned out great. I am enjoying seeing how everyone does their blocks. It's a lot of fun to see the progress.

Anonymous said...

I love what you have done with the cabin. I may have to "borrow" your idea!

I haven't started this project, yet, but I have printed off the pdf's and will start in the near future.

My blog is messed up, but I'm working on it.

Amanda Harvey aka Busy Little Quilter
scentsinspired@yahoo.com

Xoxo Grandma said...

Love your combination of fabrics for this block.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh I love this! Love the blue night...cute little house! :)