Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Not Bad for a Monday

I hadn't talked about it too much, but I've been working for two of our new attorneys since December (the first started in late October; the second began in early December).  Most of the time since then, I've worked long days, putting in about an hour and a half of overtime each day.  That kind of work makes for a pretty decent paycheck but doesn't mean much time for quilting . . . but then this tired quilter didn't feel too much like quilting on some of those long days anyway!  Still, I've been grateful to be a quilter, because whenever I came home from work feeling stressed and a bit like a hampster in a wheel, I'd go into the Sweat Shop; we all know that quilting therapy is better than bathing in Calgon, right?!

Since I've been with the firm for so long, the people who make the staffing decisions like to put me with new attorneys so I can show them what we do and how we do it--the type of law we practice is somewhat specialized, and so many of the attorneys who come to us don't have a background in our field of law.  I know what's available and I can help them as far as information and where to find forms used within the firm, I can advise them on firm policy, and I can show them what to do in different file-handling situations.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, one of our secretaries accepted another position out of state, and so the firm asked if I wanted to work for her attorney and pass my two on to other secretaries. Well, of course I did!  So I started working for him last week; I'm also transitioning one of my "old" attorneys to a new-to-our-firm secretary, which involves a little bit of mentoring but doesn't require nearly as much of my time as working for the attorney did.  (The other "old" attorney is now working with someone who has been with us for several years so I was able to hand him off without any real follow up needed.)

The attorney I'm working with now has been with us for a year and had several years of experience in criminal law before he came to us (we do civil law).  So there are still some things I can help him with in our practice, but the work is a little less stressful, and there's only ONE attorney instead of two.  So tonight, a week into this new assignment, I was able to get off work at a normal time, and it felt a little like being let out of school early!

Once I got home and had dinner with Hubby, I headed into the Sweat Shop for a little more scrap play--this time with my Thimbleberries scraps and the July block for the BOM my Thimbleberries Club has been working on:


This is the first Thimbleberries BOM Lynette Jensen designed.  It's a sampler called Month by Month and the pattern can be found in the Thimbleberries Big Book of Quilt Blocks.  I don't think I want to set the blocks as they originally were set--three across by four down with different colored sashing between the blocks--but I'm not sure how I'll decide to set them.  I'll have to play with them and experiment once the blocks are done.

Since my long work days look like they're a thing of the past, at least for now, I hope to be able to get a few more things done in the evening, or at least get to bed at a decent hour!  Speaking of which, I think I'll head that way now . . . .

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

More quilting time...priceless!