Saturday, November 17, 2012

Friday Night Sew-In

One of these months, for the Friday Night Sew-In, I want to get off work a little early and hurry home to put my jammies on, make a cup of hot chocolate, and sew.  Instead, what usually happens, as it did tonight, is that I get off work late, have to grocery shop on the way home, then sit down with Hubby for dinner, and by the time I make it into the Sweat Shop, it's already around 9 p.m.  Oh, well, at least I got to sew, and since it's Friday night, I didn't have to stop early and get to bed.

So here are all the blocks made for this chaotic Christmas quilt I've been working on--I DID get that part done tonight:


Thank you all for your comments yesterday in answer to my query about white sashing or red sashing.  I think it was fairly well divided although the white might have been slightly ahead.  A few of you wanted to see what the blocks would look like with each.  I realize this doesn't give you a very good overall view, but maybe it will help a little:  Here's the white:


Here's the red (actually I have a different red and white polka dot I'd use because I don't have quite enough of this one, but the other one is pretty similar):


And here's Stitch, sitting on both backgrounds.


So, what do you think?  I like the pop of the red, but I also think the eye needs a resting place, and the white provides that--although the colored dots keep it from being boring.  If I go with the white, I could always add a small outer border of a red (although probably not more polka dots!) before the final border, which is a blue background with red poinsettias (that print isn't in these close up blocks with the sashing but it IS in the first photo on the right side of the quilt, about a third of the way down from the top).

Stitch says it's time to go to bed, so I will--I have lots of sewing and decorating ahead of me this weekend so I should get some rest.  If you have an opinion about the sashing, please leave me a comment.  Thanks for your help!

9 comments:

Vicky said...

I like the white sashing best. It really calms down the wonderful chaos! Stitch is so cute!

Diane said...

I like the red sashing and you could add some little blue cornerstones. I love your border ideas. Can't wait to see it finished, it will be great whatever you choose!

Penny said...

Kim ~ Good to see examples! I'm w/ Stitch and do like the red w/ white dots. The blocks are truly wonderful so I'm eager to see completed quilt & your Christmas decorating!
Penny in So CA!

Carol said...

Red is without a doubt my choice. The white washes out. The red is happy! Wonderful quick top for the holidays.

Jenny said...

I like the white sashing a lot better than the red. The white really lets the blocks stand out and be the star of the show. And the cat definitely looks better on the red fabric!

Janet said...

I'm all over the red, but would still like to see that bright green!

Alice said...

Red. It's warmer.

Anonymous said...

I like the red the best. What a fun quilt! Helen

Josie McRazie said...

I say white with the red for binding