Monday, September 17, 2012

Never Long Enough!

The weekends just go by too darn fast, don't they? Although I got a lot done this weekend, I was hoping to get a few more things done. Of course, Speck wasn't really on the list, but I just didn't want to pack it away, with all the separate little parts. So I finished the top.


I initially tried a different border fabric--an orange pumpkin--but it didn't look right, so I took it back off. I think this cream border is pretty boring, but I'm hoping that if I add something fun like a striped binding, it will dress it up a little.

On Friday night, I mentioned a Martha Stewart Halloween magazine I'd grabbed at JoAnn's and said that it looked a lot like the Halloween magazines of the last two years. Well, guess what? That's pretty much what it was! As it turned out, it was a special "best of" Halloween publication. It must have contained ideas from magazines I didn't have, though, because some of the ideas were new to me. I can hardly wait to decorate for Halloween, but it will have to wait until after the wedding.

I also said I'd show you the beans I bought at the farmers' market in hopes that someone would know what they are and how to cook them. Here's a photo of a pile of them . . .


And then a bit of a closer view . . .


And finally, I thought you might want to see what they look like inside . . .


I thought I'd open one and try them raw, and I didn't think they tasted that great. If I don't cook them, though, I'm only out 82 cents, but I'm curious. Does anyone know what they are and how to cook them?

I've heard from some of you who have been struggling to leave comments because of that darn word verification thing. I'm sorry I have to have that on, but everytime I try taking it off, I get a bunch of spam. Why do advertisers think that method of advertising is of any benefit whatsoever? It just makes it difficult for everyone. If ever you want to contact me, please just click on my profile and then click on the email link and email me directly.

Sadly the weekend is over and it's back to work tomorrow. Sometimes I wish I worked just two days and had five days off!

15 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Those look a bit like soybeans, but I really don't know.

Judy in Michigan said...

Speck turned out very cute and I'm sure your binding will be the ticket. Regarding working 2 days and being off 5 days, I think you will find that you get more done when you have time constraints. I'm retired and I have lots of time but I rarely get done in an entire season what you get done in one or two weekends. Have a good week Kim.

Carol said...

Your Halloween Speck quilt turned out great. I like the simplicity of the border. A nice Halloween print binding will frame it nicely. Yeah, 2 days working and 5 days off would be nice. Speaking of work I must go get ready for work. Have a nice day.

Nicole said...

Speck is adorable. I admire how much you get done!

Maddie Can Fly said...

I think the beans are just regular peas. Sometimes called shelling peas.

Sandy said...

Your beans may be purple hull peas. There are a variety of recipes for them on the web. However you fix them Kim, they will be yummy :)

Amy said...

Love your Speck. I think the binding will add the touch you want. If you have the time (ha, ha...), you could embroider a few bats flitting around the corners.

And I think you may have Crowder peas. We used to shell them for my stepmom when we were kids.

Pam in Sacramento said...

Hi Kim,
Speck is lovely! A striped binding would set it off perfectly.

I think those "beans" are actually peas. They are a variety of cow peas that are showing up in Sacramento farmer's markets this time of year. Some people call them crowder peas, others call them cream peas, black-eyed peas (even though they have no dark spot), or just cow peas. When eaten uncooked, they have a kind of raw-starchy taste, but they are yummy after they are cooked. Enjoy!

CathyK said...

The quilt turned out darling!

Anonymous said...

The peas look like what we have here in the south ..purple hulls. My mother makes a tomato base sauce that has a sweet-vinegar-hot flavor that makes the peas very good. I usually cook the peas with the goya ham flavored packet. Love all your quilt, Barbara from GA

Coral said...

I love the quilt!

I don't know anything ab your peas!

Perry said...

In the south they are called cream peas. you cook them just like black eyed peas with a little bit of salt pork and they are delicious. I like the better than black eyed peas.

Perry said...

me again, aka purple hulls...lol..should have read all the comments before i commented

Sherri said...

I so love this quilt Kim..it is just perfect!

Treasures By Brenda said...

Martha Stewart has done that every so often, issued a 'book' that includes articles/stories from previous magazine issues. I enjoy her magazines as a resource and am disappointed when that happens.