Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Harrington and Hannah

Earlier today, I finished the Harrington and Hannah block for February. I made a couple small changes--but don't I always?! You probably know me well enough by now to expect it, right? I wanted a little more wool and a little less embroidery, so instead of embroidering the garden tools in the original pattern, I selected a background printed with garden tools, and instead of embroidering leaves on the heart stems, I substituted wool leaves. Just a couple small changes because this is already a cute pattern.


When I made the first block a few weeks ago and mentioned something I was doing for my stitchery friends, someone asked about it, so I'll clarify. Each month the six of us get together, and each month, I'm putting together little kits of background fabric and wool for each of them so they can make the block. That's my little gift to them this year--because much of the time, we exchange small gifts that are more about thinking of one another than they are about spending money. So when we meet in March, I'll have little kits ready to give my friends.

You may remember that when I cleaned up the Sweat Shop, I found I had several packages of swapped blocks and nearly completed projects--all using Thimbleberries fabrics. I decided to type the name of each on strips of paper and put the strips in a jar; each month, I'll randomly pull out a strip and whatever it says, that's the project I'll finish that month--finish, at least, to the point of being a quilt top. Doing the actual quilting? Well, no promises about THAT task!

This first month, I drew this one--


That's the next project I began a bit earlier today. I'll give you a little sneak peek now . . .


. . . but I won't have more to show until tomorrow. At least I THINK I'll have more to show tomorrow. I took a couple days off work surrounding the three-day President's Day weekend, and I have one more day off before I go back to work on Wednesday. I'll see you back here tomorrow to tell/show you what I accomplished. Thanks for stopping in to visit!

8 comments:

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Very cute Kim! Love how you tweaked it for your own style! You should add it to my Flickr group!
xx,Michelle

Anonymous said...

Like what you did with Harrington and Hannah. I have these printed off, but haven't started them. I need some wool.

Shelia

Josie McRazie said...

I really like that background fabric! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I really, really love that background fabric. Perfecto!!!

Shelley said...

Nice birthday block!

Jen said...

Goodness, your little friends are so cute! What a fun thing to see first thing in the morning!

Anna said...

I love that block! But I gotta go I totally forgot about Harrington and Hannah and here I have to go print my block out and you're already done!!! excuse me coming through...I need to hook up to my printer! lol

Suburban Stitcher said...

that looks like toulouse? love the block...whatever it is...