Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Day After the Friday Night

On Saturday, I added a wing to my naked chicken and made the pieced parts of blocks 6 and 7 of the Garden Club quilt. I trimmed the appliqued pieces to size (I always start with the background cut a little larger than I need) and sewed the parts together into their sections.


After that, I couldn't help but pull out a couple of pieces I made before to see how they look together.


I'm really liking this quilt a lot! I still have something like four sections left to make, not including the borders, but I feel like it's really coming together now.

A couple of you have commented that you have the book but haven't made the quilt yet. I bet you'll love it when you do! The applique is fairly easy as are the pieced blocks. I'm kind of sorry to see this project put away for another month, but it's time to move onto something else. That's the thing about working on block of the month quilts--you might be really into what you're doing and not ready to set it aside, but then again, you probably won't get bored with a project.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it, Kim! It's so colorful! Florence

Marie said...

oooh the wing made a huge difference ... looking good...

Melanie said...

It's really coming a long...I love this.

carol fun said...

It is looking fine -- love the dotty wing, she did look kinda naked - LOL Enjoy your day off tomorrow!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

The addition of the wing finished off the chicken quite nicely. This is going to be a beauty of a quilt.

Miss Jean said...

It's going to be so adorable when you finish! A couple questions. Did you fuse the pieces down? Do you machine blanket stitch around the pieces after they are all fused down? Or do you do use the freezer paper method and hand stitch the pieces down? Inquiring minds want to know!

AnnieO said...

That fancy wing shape is terrific. What an improvement! All your blocks have your stamp of fun and quirk :)

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Love the wing on the chicken! And the red chair... and .. and! LOL It is just wonderful! Have a happy day!

JoAnne said...

Kim, I've been reading your blog for a while, but I don't remember if I read, or if you mentioned, the technique you use for applique. Do you fuse? Needleturn, stitch by machine or hand? I'd love to read about your technique. I love to applique myself--I use the back-basting technique. Thanks!