Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Just Remember to Breathe

Isn't it funny how hearing that just about everyone else is in the same boat you're in helps make things easier somehow? For me, maybe it's because I'm pretty sure you'll all pull it together in time for Christmas, one way or another--and that gives me hope that I will too. Of course, Christmas is coming whether we're ready or not.

And can I just point out that the ONLY person who commented that they were in good shape and ready for Christmas was "anonymous," so we can't even TRY to persuade them to pitch in and help! Ha!

I woke up this morning feeling a little more calm. What I had figured out is that I need to take things one step at a time. There's really no need to worry about NEXT week just yet--all I need to worry about for now is what needs to be done THIS week.

During my lunch hour, I went shopping for a couple gifts for friends and found gifts I'm happy about giving. Of course, I can't show you now, but remember my cardinal rule of gift buying and how for every gift you buy, you need to buy one for yourself? Well, I think I outdid myself!

I'll just show you these cuties that I found at a local "antique mall."


I have no idea how old they are, but I suspect they aren't very old--maybe from the 80s or 90s. But I think they have character and appeal, don't you?

Last Sunday night, when I went into the Sweat Shop, I was thinking about making a few smallish gift projects, but the idea of starting on something else just then was a bit daunting. Then I remembered I had pinned a Christmas quilt top for quilting--a quilt top I'd made last year and then set aside. I decided to work on getting this one quilted instead.


I finished the quilting tonight but I still have to do the binding. I haven't decided whether to count this as my 11th quilt for the year. It IS something I'm finally completing, and that was the whole point in the 11-quilt goal this year. But then again, it's not a very big quilt. Well, I'll give it a little thought as I'm binding it.

By the way, Florence left a comment about some of the Christmas things I did last year--mugs with hot chocolate mix I put together for my co-workers and our firm's annual San Francisco shopping trip. Since she mentioned it, I'll tell you that I ended up skipping the shopping trip this year. It was scheduled for the day after I stayed home sick with a cold (and a fever), and I thought a day of wandering around the City might not be the best thing for me--after all, the last thing I wanted was to tire myself out and get sicker! But I'm sure I'll go next year, and I didn't really mind missing it this time.

I've been kicking around a couple ideas for "Christmas treats" for the people I work with, but I haven't made any definite decisions yet. That's one of the things I've decided I don't really HAVE to worry about until next week.

Oh, and I just remembered I hadn't told you! Remember my boss took a leave of absence to live with her new husband in China? His contract was going to be up in the fall and he expected he'd be relocated to the US then. Well, we just heard yesterday that he's going to stay in China for the foreseeable future, so my boss is leaving the firm to stay with him. I'm really sad for myself because I enjoyed working with her, but I think this is a wonderful opportunity for her.

Tomorrow is my firm's holiday lunch/reception and following that is my Thimbleberries Club's end-of-the-year party. Yes, it's going to be another busy day--one that I need to prepare for. I still have a couple gifts to wrap, so it's time for me to say goodnight and finish up because I don't think Santa's elves are planning to stop by tonight and pitch in. If I'm wrong, though, and they do show up, I'll send them on to help you, okay?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

COMPLETING 11 quilts was your goal, so I think you should definitely count this as your
11th. It's very cute! Have a great time today and tonight! Florence

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I think you should count it. I'm sorry for your boss leaving. Bummer. My boss just quit last week too. It was a blow. I am sorry he's gone. You'll get it together for Christmas. Like you said, it's coming whether we like or not.

Anna said...

11th quilt, 11th quilt, 11th quilt...count it!!! i am not sure I would believe anonymous...it could be one of those spammers just trying to get your worked up! As for me I decided to go to bookclub last night which means after getting up at 0400 and working till 4:00 pm I get to come home and make several dozen cookies...oh yeah, I am organized! And if I live the "process" of gift buying I will eat one cookie for each I bake!!!

Miriam said...

This time of year I always remind folks that at my house we take presents all year round so don't kill yourself trying to be "on time". Quilt number 11 is adorable!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

As long as you get the binding on~ count it. :-) LOL I mailed all our gifts to family and friends yesterday, now I can concentrate on my own family and I am enjoying the things I am making for them. I think it will all come together by Christmas Eve. ;) Have a fun day!

Kris said...

Yep. Count it. It is a quilt!

I think you are looking very big picture by thinking about this week. I am just thinking one day at a time here! I have a Christmas list on my fabric cupboard (cause the sewing room is where I spend most of my time! It is just next door to the kitchen too.) and if I concentrate on it too much I start to hyperventilate. So, I'm just taking life one day at a time. My goal for today is to finish one gift to the wrapable stage. Must. Get. Off. This. Computer.

Pam B said...

I agree, bind that puppy up and count it! Love the Christmas quiltie...

I was panicking too because I have to mail my gifts and I hadn't even bought them yet. Since I'm so new at quilting I don't have any handmades to "gift", I went shopping today and brought home a fistful of gift cards. Sat down, wrote a sweet note to each, enclosed in a pretty Christmas card, and bundled them up to mail tomorrow. Next year everyone on my list will get handmades, I promise.

Since my babies are grown up and this is a long-distance Christmas for us this year, there's no other pressure for me. Now I'm ready to relax and watch some Christmas movies with a cup of hot cocoa. After I go to the post office, of course!

Hugs,
Pam

Penny said...

Kim ~ Of course you should count that quilt as #11!! Sm, big or med a finish is a finish & that's what counts ~ meaning you've completed 11 quilts in 2011! Woohoo for you! I'm not panicked yet but... after you said u needed a plan that seem's to be my problem re: Christmas ~ I don't have a plan!! I better write one now or next week I will panic!! Congrats on reaching ur quilting goal for 2011!! I'm impressed & very inspired by you!
Penny in SoCA