Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Baby it's Cold Outside!

But then again, this is California, so I suspect most of you have me beat when it comes to cold! And truth to tell, its not so much COLD, exactly, but it's awfully wet and blustery--the wind is gusting so hard at times the house is vibrating, and the patio Christmas tree has fallen over yet again--this makes something like the sixth time it's blown over this season, and I know tomorrow morning before work I'll be running around the front yard, searching out wind-stolen ornaments.

Tonight, though I wanted to show you one of the ideas that crossed my mind for this year's Valentine tree. A couple years ago, I received this tussy-mussy type paper cone ornament in an ornament exchange--I love it, don't you?


So this year, rather than sew more of Monica's Pennie Pockets (but only because I've been making them for two years for every possible occasion!), I thought I'd make paper cones to hang on the tree to hold Valentine's Day treats. When I stopped at JoAnn's on my lunch hour on Monday, I found a pad of 8" x 8" scrapbook paper on clearance or sale; I'm not sure which, but the price was reduced. AND it's perfect--the theme is Love and Wedding and most of it is red, white, and pink. Then I found a couple spools of inexpensive white lace.


My plan is to pick up a package or two of small pretzel rods from Trader Joe's and dip them in melted candy coating before rolling them in sprinkles--those will go inside the paper cones. I ordered cellophane bags to hold the goodies, and they'll arrive in my mailbox in a week or so. And yes, of course, I'll show you what I'm doing, and if it turns out as I visualize it, I'll post a PDF file of the cone pattern. If this sounds like something you might like to make for your friends for Valentine's Day, watch for it before too long!

Speaking of friends, a couple of mine are waiting for me.


Curling up on the couch with a good book and some hot chocolate on a cold winter night sounds just about purrrrrrfect, doesn't it?

4 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

Your idea got the little hamster wheel in my brain churning this morning for a class I have coming up...thanks...and lets not talk about the cold...

Sherrill said...

I LOVE the quilt that the black kitty's laying on--looks like wreaths with bows and stars. One of your designs?!! Beautiful!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it. I don't know if I'll hand out goodies to people but it would be fun to make a couple for my husband and daughter. Fill them with chocolates of course!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, YOu always inspire me and you get so much done that it makes me ashamed!! We are cold here to, snow on Christmas day and still is cold. My sister got stranded in NYC where they really had the snow. I can never get google to recognize my password so I sign in as Anonymous. Sandra in Georgia