Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What Ever Happened To . . .

Remember back a few weeks ago when Stitch brought a friend home to play? (If you wish to refresh your memory, click HERE.) Well, I'm happy able to say that he/she/it is alive and doing well--thriving, in fact.

Since that evening, Stitch has lost all interest but Spike has remained on the alert. We've noticed now and then that she'll sit in the kitchen, staring intently at one of the cabinets, the dishwasher, the stove, or the refrigerator for quite a long time. Then, a few days ago, we found mouse droppings on the floor of the cabinet under the kitchen sink, so Hubby went out and bought two traps.

No luck so far. But this morning, Hubby found Spike staring at the refrigerator again, and a little bit of movement caught his attention. I was brushing my teeth when he called me, but I quickly grabbed my camera--because, of course, as a true blogger, DOCUMENTING the event took priority over CATCHING the little guy. (Look away if you're bothered by the sight of mice.)


See it there in the corner? I wasn't sure if the photo would turn out, so I got up on a chair and snapped another.


Cute, eh? Before we could catch it, it jumped down behind the refrigerator. Hubby found that one of his traps under the sink had been sprung, so he re-peanut buttered it and moved it next to the refrigerator. I sure hope we can catch this guy soon! In the meantime, Spike is standing guard. Stitch--not so much. He's probably out looking for more friends.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was wondering if the cute little guy with the corn was the one but I guess not. Good luck! Janet

Unknown said...

You got some good pictures of him. Maybe you should use some cheese in those traps.

Shelley said...

Hot Dog!!! They can't resist hot dog!! But he's so cute, how can you murder him! :) LOL! Happy Hunting!

Kim said...

Cute??? Really??? I would have moved out by now! Quit feeding those cats, so they get hungry enough to do their job!! LOL

dianne said...

he is NOT cute - look at that creepy long tail! UGH ... i had the same trouble with traps springing and no dead varmint - till i started gluing down a chocolate chip with peanut butter - i dunno if they tug a little harder or what, but SNAP goes the neck and dead goes the meese

are you SURE you were on the chair for picture-taking and not for screeching?

Carol said...

I hope you get the little guys soon.

strawberrycream39 said...

Sounds like a sneaky little guy. I think your kitties need mouse-catching lessons!

debbie m said...

Hmmm, I couldn't take a pic of the top of my fridge, embarrassing. I use p-nut butter on a wood trap that has a cheese scented plastic bait pad. there are holes in that part and I smear the pnut butter so it is only in those little holes. works every time, they have to get on there and really lick to get the bait. IF it's a girl mouse she will look for nesting material so a little piece of cotton ball or fabric will get her attention. I wouldn't have a clue of her favorite line, maybe a Moda, lol.

Nancy said...

I am sitting here shivering just looking at those photos... we use D-Con...if kills them (but so does the trap) but if they crawl off and die they don't stink...

I would have been in the middle of the front yard screaming ....

Janet said...

Yuck! Be sure the trap is perpendicular to the edge of the wall as mice stick to the edges of a room. Good Luck!

Suzanne Kistler said...

That thing is HUGE!!!

My son had good luck with sticky traps. His mouse infested apartment was cleared out over the weekend when he left the sticky traps out.

Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

I find this little guy absolutely adorable...sorry. You'd never guess where I worked when I lived in California....I was a pest control supervisor and was licensed through the state. Oh the stories I could share....

Annette said...

If you can figure out what his pathways are, put a trap across a narrow point and you'll get him just because he follows the same path.
Just pray he doesn't set up shop in the sweatshop---lots of nesting material... sadly I'm speaking from experience...

Mary said...

I agree with Suzanne. I've had the best luck with the sticky traps. I put just a dab of peanut butter in the middle. These seem to work lots better than the spring traps.
Good luck!

Yvonne said...

Aren't you the brave one....I'd been out on the lawn too. :)

quiltmom anna said...

ah those little critters are such a pain- we live near a ravine and in an old house so unfortunately I have found those critters on occasion. Fortunately not recently- Knock on wood... They do make such a mess...
Good luck with getting this creature..

Thanks for dropping by the blog KIM
-The countryside is beautiful in my neck of the woods- just ask Gran VBG
I saw on another blog where they called a fabric hop a FART- Fabric Acquisition Road Trip.... Thought it was a great acronym.
Warmest regards,
Anna
Regards,
Anna

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

I have a no fail mouse trap for you. 5 gallon bucket with water. Drown those suckers! Works every time. Living in the country, it's the best thing we found that works.

Drill two holes on opposite sides of the bucket and thread a rod through. Take a can (empty) and drill a hole in that so that you can thread that through the rod. Cover the can with peanut butter. The mice/mouse will climb up to get the peanut butter and slip into the water and drown.

Cruel? Maybe. But we catch LOTS of mice like that!