Sunday, November 22, 2009

At The Quilt Show . . .

Of course we all go to quilt shows to see the quilts, but I'm pretty sure many of us go to see the vendors, too, don't we? Which types of vendors attract your interest?

For instance, in my first few years of quilting, I loved visiting the vendors who carried fabric. After all, I was getting a late start and needed to catch up quick, and what better way to do that than by visiting every fabric source possible? After a couple years, I STILL loved the fabric vendors, but I gravitated more to the specialties--wool and hand dyeds--because they weren't widely available in the local shops.

Now? Well, I'd still visit the wool and hand dyed merchants but there were none at this show--or if there were, I sure didn't find them! So what drew me? A button vendor!

A few months ago, I was reading Andrea's blog, Under a Blue Moon, and she was talking about using clear, glass buttons to decorate a tablerunner--the clear glass would catch the sparkle of candlelight. I was hooked by that image and "collected" a few clear glass buttons for a "someday project." (I'm still collecting.) I've always LOVED buttons, and the opportunity to collect a few more clear glass buttons and other lovely things sidetracked me at the quilt show; before I knew it, I was pawing through boxes and flipping through cards. I knew I was in trouble when the vendor handed me a small basket. Yes, I found some clear glass buttons, and I also found these lavendar glass buttons--


There's something about that particular shade of purple and the semi-see through quality of the buttons that just hooked me. No, I have absolutely NO idea what I'll do with them, but someday I'd really love to use them in a project--and I'm not even a "purple person"!

As I was paying for my buttons, more buttons caught my eye. These were carved from a nut and looked much like carved ivory. Because I collect rabbits (in a small way), I was particularly interested in the rabbits, and one came home with me--this was my big splurge of the show! (You can't see the button hole, but it's in the bunny's tail.)


And here are the last couple photos of quilts from the show--some minis. They had lots and lots of minis this time but I didn't photograph more than just a couple. I'm not sure whether they may have been part of the quilt show challenge project or whether people are just getting very interested in making minis, but I wanted to show you some--they were all wonderful small pieces of art.



And here's what I've been doing for the last day or so. I'd seen this little project made up (by Gran) at Bearpaws and Hollyhocks the last couple times I'd been in, and it's the cutest thing! (Candies/treats or other goodies go inside.) The shop also had additional "kits" with the fabrics. So when I was there for a class on Wednesday evening, I finally gave in and bought the pattern and fabric kit.


Here's the pattern--it's by Hatched and Patched.


And now that I've made this project, I think it's time for me to pass the pattern on to one of you--if you're interested, please leave me a comment telling me you'd like to be entered in the drawing. I should tell you that the pattern came with the design pre-printed onto a small piece of muslin, and I've used that in this project, but you can trace another one onto muslin yourself, so it shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll make a couple more, but instead of the stitchery, I'm going to substitute some wool holly leaves and button berries on a muslin background.

Oh, and the final thing I wanted to show you since we're talking about the quilt show, vendors, and Bearpaws & Hollyhocks--BP&HH had a booth and gave out these cute snowman pins and a little "kit" to make some small, simple gift bags. I don't recall a vendor giving out free swag like this before, so I think this is really special that they did--and it's not because I'm biased since I teach at the shop!


I hope you're enjoying your weekend and, if you're here in the States, preparing for a wonderful Thanksgiving later in the week. There are so many things still to do here, but I'm mixing in a little play time too. I'll draw a winner for the pattern on Monday evening and announce the name on my Tuesday post, so stop back by!


ENTRIES CLOSED--WINNER WILL SOON BE ANNOUNCED!

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the austrlian patterns. I would love to win.

kim
knaylor@san.rr.com

Lorraine said...

Anni's patterns are great aren't they.....I have the pattern so don't put me in your drawer....and at quilt shows I tend to frequent notions vendors....for rulers, etc.....and a wool vendor would get my money as well...but they are hard to find!

Anonymous said...

I love patterns, fabric, buttons, rulers, thread, notions**take a breath**anything to do with quilting or sewing. I just wish I had started 20 years ago 'cause I can't get enough of it!

Anonymous said...

Kim
that pattern is adorable. If I win I am going to make some for my quilting group. Thanks for passing the pattern on.
Dorothy in IL

quiltmamajb said...

That pattern is adorable and would make a great gift for my student workers! I work in an office at a local university. Thanks for being so generous - I'm also working on some peppermint things this season - thanks for the inspiration! Take care....piece.

Pam B said...

What a cute pattern, would luv to be entered in the contest.
I just love the peppermint striped bags you made last week

Betsy said...

KIm I too love the Aussie designers so please count me in. I love using buttons on my quilt projects too because they add dimension and definetly some interest so I know exactly where you are coming from

Unknown said...

I'd love to win the bon bon pattern. Quite clever.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

That little bunny button is adorable! I can see why you had to have it.
I really like the little bon-bon pattern and those are some great ideas you have for the next one.

Laurie said...

The pattern is so cute! Please enter me in the drawing. Also, thanks for the pics of the quilts from the show..they were beautiful!

Happy Sewing!

Delores said...

Please enter me in the draw - I seem to be loving anything 'stitchery' these days, so this would fit right in!

Thanks,

Anonymous said...

Please enter me in the drawig for that wonderful pattern! Love it, love it.

claudine

paulette said...

This little candy container is going to look great with your candy theme this year! Well done! I'm loving it! Would you throw my name in the candy container....thank you! And what a nice gift your fabric shop was handing out...I have NEVER seen that before at any booth...maybe they hide the loot when I come in??
Take care and thanks for the give-away!
Paulette

Anonymous said...

Please enter me in the drawing for the bon bon pattern. It is so cute. I love buttons. It is one of the items I look for when I go antiquing. Sheila

Mary said...

Thank you for the opportunity to win the pattern. I love it and it would be perfect for Christmas gift giving.

Barb said...

Very cute pattern that would be fun to make for little "gifties" this holiday. Please enter my name and then I could pass it on also when I finished.

Chocolate Cat said...

I love those lavender buttons but that little bunny is gorgeous. Your bon-bon looks great made up. Don't put me in for the pattern, I actually have a parcel of 'Hatched and Patched' patterns arriving this week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim what a lovely little pattern please enter me in the draw for it.so that l could make one for the festive period,Sue..

Louise SS said...

What a cute little "smällkaramell"! That is Swedish, in case you don't understand :)
Please, enter me in your drawing!

Mad about Craft said...

I would love to be entered into the draw, so cute!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I love your rabbit button! How cute!! I can see lots of small holiday gifts inserted in the bon bon pattern, please enter me too. ;)

Chris said...

I'd like to win the bon bon pattern. I've never seen anything like it. I'm always drawn to the buttons too. It reminds me of when I was little, playing in my grandma's button box. I've often wondered what happened to her button box.
I love the snowman pin! Wow!! I need to go to the shop and see if they're selling them. I want one!
Chris in Sacramento

Anonymous said...

Whether I "win" the pattern or not, whatever, I still want to tell you how Thankful I am this Thanksgiving week for the caring and humor you share with us all. You've made many a day a bit brighter! My Thanks!
Zel
jzmcduff@aol.com

Manders said...

I haven't seen that before! How stinkin' cute is that!!?? I would LOVE to win that pattern so I can make one... or 10~!

Trish said...

Kim,

I would LOVE to win this adorable pattern. It's nice of you to recycle your pattern when you are done !!

Trish www.quiltalesandcattails.com

Brenda S said...

I would love to be entered in the drawing. I look forward to your blog. I check in on you everytime I am on the computer.

Lynne in Hawaii said...

Thanks for showing us your buttons...the purple are wonderful and the bunny fantastic! Great finds. Love to be considered for the pattern. Thanks for the give away!

Texan said...

I would like to be in the drawing for the pattern :O)...

and I love that Bunny Button you got at the quilt show!!! Just cuteness I tel you!

Bev C said...

I just loved the quilt show pictures,would love to be included in the draw for the patterns. Happy days.

Kim H said...

Love your little project. Please enter me in the drawing.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

It's a wonderful gift! Please enter me in the drawing too!

Julie S. said...

That would be adorable to make. Count me in.

Called Lindy's the other day and Pam was working. She tried so hard to help me. Then she passed me on to Lindyand I didn't get a chance to say good-bye or anything--even small chat. ):

Julie/Julia

Bonnie said...

Kim -- I would enjoy making that cute little candy holder ... what a clever idea. I think I would put different appliques on the section .... too bad I don't have an embroidery machine. Then I could make my own center sections. Bonnie in the Poconos.

Yuki said...

I collect bunnies also but I don't think your bunny is a button. I think it's a Netsuke. Have you heard of Netsuke? You can look it up on wikipedia. They are kind of like cord pulls. You put them on the end of a cord for decoration, or you could use a knot.

ttfn :) Yuki

Katie said...

Oooooo, I love your rabbit. I have some rabbit beads I just love. :-)