Monday, June 8, 2009

Loose Threads

In the aftermath of yesterday's class fun, I slept like a log and woke up to the smell of baking bread. Yum! Hubby had gotten up early and got the bread machine going. What an enticing aroma on a lazy Sunday morning!


Hubby's been sorting out some of the things we've been storing in the garage for years and years, and he brought this in this morning to see what I wanted to do with it. Isn't it funny?!


You can probably tell from the colors that this was something I made in the late 70s! And you know what? I never even finished it! Something for the Goodwill bag, I suppose, destined to end up in the Crafts-Gone-Bad aisle!

Mare left a comment on yesterday's post asking whether "M" stood for Mare! No, sorry, Mare! I DID tell her that she came to class with me though--my embroidery project was in a bag she made for me--


If you click over to her blog, you'll see she's been awfully busy making more bags while she's recovering from rotator cuff surgery.

And do you know what "M" really stands for--at least in the case of my embroidery project?


Today I spent a little time finishing the embroidered words. Next I'll be working on the rest of the "garden"--this is something I'll take to the office with me to work on during lunch hours.

There were a couple questions about the "tablecloth" I used in class. Yes, it is in fact a Thimbleberries project I made several years ago. It was a Club pattern at the time. I think the pattern has since been included in a Thimbleberries book, but I'm not certain. I varied the pattern a bit by turning all the blossoms outward and I think I changed the sawtooth part in the center as well, but it's hard to remember exactly what I did differently.


Ruby was kind enough to send me a photo of her completed Fireworks! center and allowed me to post it on my blog.


Isn't it great! And, by the way, for those of you who were in my class (or, for that matter, those who have purchased the pattern), I wanted to mention that using triangle paper for the half square triangles in the border is a really good option! It's impractical for the center, but the blocks in the border are small enough to make it a quicker way to get them done.

When I wasn't embroidering, reading, or napping today, I pieced the large block for the Back Home Again BOM class I'm taking--I still need to make the small block though. I'm really happy with the way these are coming out using the older Ellery line of fabric.


And, finally, I wanted to post a photo of the class packet that will be going out in tomorrow's mail to Melissa--


And the inside--


The weekend is nearly over, but if I hurry, I have a little time left to head back into the Sweat Shop and cut the pieces for the smaller Back Home Again block. Happy quilting!

6 comments:

Lorraine said...

you certainly go the extra mile when you teach a class.....looks like you all had fun...and waking up to the smell of bread baking.....fab!! raining here at the moment and the sound of it on the roof is wonderful....have the wood fire cranked up and enjoying the winter weather....!

Lorraine said...

you certainly go the extra mile when you teach a class.....looks like you all had fun...and waking up to the smell of bread baking.....fab!! raining here at the moment and the sound of it on the roof is wonderful....have the wood fire cranked up and enjoying the winter weather....!

Greenmare said...

Cool class packet, and even though the M doesn't stand for Mare, I still like your embroidery! I can tell that my bag is very happy with you! please please take it all over, and show it a good time!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Wow, you just keep on going, and going, and going!
You DH make good looking bread! And to have you wake up to the aroma of it, is a treat!
OMG the afghan is something else! It is not finished!! you must have been making it for a very tall person. Don't you just love the colours, just think we all thought they were so great together.
I hope you are having a good Monday. Say Hi to Jackie for me.

Dawn said...

Job well done!! Everything looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Kim,
As usual, the class was a hit! The bags you made were so-o-o cute, and I can't wait to see everyone's quilts in the different fabrics! I work this Saturday, so maybe I will see ya!

Pam