Thursday, January 15, 2009

Your Assignment . . .

should you choose to accept it, is--


1. Go to the thrift store and find a lacy looking sweater, preferrably one that buttons in the front. The one I found has a crocheted "lacy" layer over a regular knitted layer, but just an open crocheted or lacy knitted sweater or vest will do.

2. Take it home and wash and dry it.

3. Cut a piece of freezer paper in the shape of a heart, making sure not to make it larger than the sweater. If you don't have freezer paper, cut regular paper and use pins.


4. First you'll want to make an inner pillow to hold the stuffing. This will fit into the sweater. If your sweater is very lacy and see-through, you may want to use a pretty colored fabric that will show through; if not, muslin would be great. Iron the freezer paper (or pin regular paper) onto two layers of fabric, right sides together. Sew around the heart, leaving an opening. Turn heart right side out.


5. Stuff pillow with fiberfil or other pillow stuffing and sew opening closed.


6. Turn the sweater inside out so the "good" sides are together. Iron the heart pattern onto one side and pin around it to secure the layers together. Sew around the paper. If you have a sweater that buttons in the front, sew all the way around; if not, leave an opening so you can insert the stuffed pillow. Trim around the heart, leaving a 1/2" seam allowance.


7. Turn sweater right side out and insert inner pillow. Button closed. Jump up and down with excitement. Squeal with delight.


8. Cut some wool pieces so they kinda resemble flower petals. Layer a few flower petal pieces and sew around edges to hold all the layers together. Very cleverly sew lines in the petals to look somewhat like veins. Sew a button in the center to hold it all together. Add a couple wool leaves. Again, cleverly sew veins in the leaves. Pin the flower on from underneath so you can remove it later to wash the sweater part. Or change the decoration from a flower to something else. Or make some yo-yos, arrange them to resemble a bouquet and sew buttons in the centers. Use wool for stems or make little green bias tubes and tack them down. Tie a ribbon in a bow and sew it onto the stems so it appears to be tied around your yo-yo bouquet. Or use your imagination to think up some other fun embellishment!

9. Take photos. Post them on your blog. Leave me a comment so I can come over and admire your heart pillow!

11 comments:

Nic said...

Lovely. Thank you for sharing. I hope i can find a suitable jacket/cardigan here in Oz.

Greenmare said...

I love the idea of using the button part of the sweater............. I'm getting ideas here! but wait, I have to go to work first. darn it!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Beauty! Maybe I'll hit my local thrift store for a sweater score.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kim... will you be posting the how tos on the Valentine quilt at some point? I would have been the 1st to sign up if I lived near you, but alas I am in So Cal! I love reading your blog every morning, you are such a productive girl!

Trish

Judy said...

I'll have to look around next time I go!! Great job on the pillow!

Nan said...

That heart pillow is absoltively adorable!! I am at home with a sick hubby, so I'll not be going to the thrift store or anywhere else for awhile. I thank you for sharing this delightful project. I shall keep it in mind.....

Tudy said...

I love the idea and will be looking for a sweater that will do the job. My cousin is into the victorian look and this would fit her house perfectly. Thank you for the idea. If I get one made I will sned you the pictures.

Snippen' Threads said...

I love the heart pillow. I am such a thrift store junkie. Now I'll be on a mission for a suitable sweater. Thanks for the idea.

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Oh, what I would give to have back the crotched vests and wraps of yesteryear that I have given to thrift shops along the way... I thought that I was doing good to finally unload them along with the macramed pot hangers and my fancy forehead bands. Maybe I will just sit back and enjoy your talent and your great adventure along these lines. I am though, getting into wool projects and your rose is something I am going to make. When I do I will send you a picture. Today I am finishing up a fall candle mat and the bee mine wool project from the shop.

Busy Little Quilter said...

You know...the other day I was thinking, "I wonder how I met Kim and started reading her blog every day". I now remember! I saw your name at Sharon's blog, and I was looking around, and I found your stuffed carrots! They were so fun to make, and adorable, too!

That's what keeps me coming back every day, Kim. I never know what adorable project you are going to inspire me to make. I love this!

Thank you so much! I love hearts!♥

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

I wanted to mention that I think that good Legal Secretaries are the best and the brightest. Knowing you and how your do life and your quilting adventure I KNOW that you are the very best of the best legal secretaries. I feel you are wonderful at most anything that you do. Thank you for your generosity and love of quilting.