Sunday, April 20, 2008

Last Call

It's 11 p.m. on Sunday evening and tomorrow I go back to work. It's feeling a little like last call at a bar--a lot of fun was had but now it's time to pack it in and head home. Sad, isn't it?

I started my last day off with a cup of coffee and a chocolate croissant. In bed. Too bad I had to cook and serve it first rather than actually stay in bed and be served breakfast, but at least I had breakfast in bed. And that reminds me of a sign I saw in Country Sampler magazine: "Bed & Breakfast. Make your own." I NEED that sign!


Lately, the ever-mischevious Spike has seemed bored with pulling all the dish towels out of the drawer. I noticed while I was off work that she really only did that once, and that was yesterday when I found her huddled in the drawer and squished fairly flat with several dish towels scattered on the floor. Today, though she found a new preoccupation.


Yes, that's her, getting into one of my wire drawers of hand dyed fabrics. You probably can't see it very well because she's sitting on them, but she had pulled several fat quarters out before I noticed what she was doing. When I saw her and called her name, she turned to look at me with one fat quarter still stuck on her paw. I'm not sure if her attraction to textiles makes her the perfect quilter's cat or just the opposite.

I was busy playing around with another cat today. Yesterday I went out to the garage and started rummaging around and pulled out a few things that needed a bit of refurbishing. My cat/tray "thing" was one of them. It originally served as a bird feeder and hung outside, but I don't think any birds ever actually fed from it--at least I never saw any. I've always thought it was kind of freakishly strange interesting looking, so I decided to repaint it. I have very little idea what I'll actually DO with it now that it's looking better, but I'd like to use it in the house. Any ideas? Maybe I can find some mice salt and pepper shakers to sit inside the tray and hang it in the kitchen.


I mentioned yesterday that I was getting a little bored out of my mind tired of applique and may need to do some piecing today, so that's what I did. I looked around the Sweat Shop and decided maybe I'd have another go at the Blackbird Jubilee fabric. Being much wiser about this fabric now, THIS TIME I just made a little bit of the quilt I have in mind to see how it looks before I commit a lot of time and fabric to the project. Here's what I've come up with so far--this would be the center of what I have in mind. If I continue on, I'll add two more rounds of blocks so it will be 7 rows by 7 columns. What do you think? Should I keep going? At least it doesn't look like a Mexican fiesta to me!


This week is Staff Appreciation Week at my office. Wednesday is what started out as Secretary's Day years ago--now it's called something else and I can't remember what; something more inclusive and politically correct, I believe. In any event, our office celebrates all week long. In the last couple years, it hasn't been as much of a production as it had been before, but it should be fun, even so. The festivities will culminate on Friday with a lunch out somewhere and the rest of the day off--of course, lunch won't start until 2 p.m. or so and won't get done until 4:30, so "the rest of the day off" isn't what it may seem, but it sure will be a nice way to end a work week, that's for sure! I hope you've enjoyed your weekend and have a lovely week ahead of you too!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That's it , Kim Leave that cat tray in front of the wire baskets to keep Spike out of them. Now you need a picture of him looking at that other cat.

The blackbird so far is cute.

Too, bad you have to go back to work. Gee. wonder what the Boy and Girl bosses will do for YOU this week?

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim! I have visited your blog many times. I just decided to tell you how much I enjoy it! Thanks, Barb. Stop and visit me @oceanwavesquilts@typepad.com.

Anonymous said...

Spike it so danged cute! You can't get mad at them, they are too sweet, right? I know some people think it's horrible, but all our kitties are declawed since they never leave the house, so they can't use their claws to pull stuff out of drawers like that. It is called Administrative Professionals Day now, according to my calendar. We get lunch catered in so we can go back to work after, and they give us all kinds of crap with the firm name on it for free advertising. I usually toss it.

Doris said...

I admire Spike's ingenuity. Is she going for turning it into a bed like she did the towel drawer?

Funny that she got caught in the act, too!

Anonymous said...

Spike is adorable. He found a way to get your complete attention very fast!

Greenmare said...

you know I've seen cats that paint, and they might be on to something. Maybe you should let him pick out your next project colors? He might want to try rummaging through your patterns or books too............

Sherry said...

I used to fall under that secretary's day..oh geez! Then later when I was office manager, what was it then? Oh well, you're right they have to have everything politically correct, might offend someone! :) That stuff is getting old. Don't I sound like the drunk coming in the room...LOL How are ya Kim? I will have a cuppa that coffee! LOL

Nan said...

Love your pic of Spike getting caught red-pawed! LOL! I agree with Eileen - leaving the kitty tray in front of your baskets might deter the fabric bandit. It certainly is cute!
I think the blackbird quilt is adorable, and yes, I would love it just the way it is! If I can't have it, then by all means, keep going, woman!