Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'm a Sell Out!

Yesterday, as I was leaving work, I was just opening my car door to get in when I heard one of our attorneys--the only other person in the parking lot--talking. I thought she was talking to me for a minute, but when I turned to look, I saw she wasn't even facing me and was, in fact, unloading files from her trunk. Cell phone.

The other day, I was at the grocery store, reviewing my mental shopping list, reasonably oblivious to everything around me, when I was rudely interrupted and distracted by someone carrying on a loud conversation with himself. In Spanish. Cell phone.

Also in the grocery store recently, I was approached by a woman who was seemingly looking at me, talking. Was she asking me a question? Nope. You guessed it. Cell phone.

And that's not even getting started on stories about all the idiots I've seen driving and talking on cell phones!

I know I've said it before, but just in case you're somewhat new to my blog, perhaps you haven't had the pleasure of reading my anti-cell phone tirades. Heck, I don't even like regular, old fashioned phones! I don't WANT to talk to people most of the time--just e-mail me. Then I can ignore you until I'M ready!

But I've sold out.

The other day, having apparently run out of other products to buy to stimulate the economy, I sat myself down and we had a little chat about purchasing cell phones. (I figured I might as well talk to myself, since that's what I'll soon LOOK like I'm doing anyway!)

See, the thing is, I found out in the last year that when your car breaks down and you're overweight and over 50, you just don't get the same level of assistance as you did when you were a cute 30 year old. Maybe people just aren't as helpful anymore. But I think that's probably not the reason. It seems kind of silly to have AAA roadside assistance if you can't call them when you break down, doesn't it?

Then there's my husband. With his muscular dystrophy as well as another, newer disease that causes vertigo and nausea, talk around our house and among the family has been that perhaps he should have a cell phone in case he gets into any kind of trouble and needs help. Yeah, I'll buy that--it seems like a good reason.

What did we all do before cell phones? Well, I guess we were younger, cuter, and healthier then, for one thing.


So, realizing I'm not getting much younger and probably not any cuter, I finally caved. I sent hubby out to buy cell phones the other day and he has the first one on a charger now. I'm reasonably sure we're not going to be burning up the cell phone towers with all the talking we'll be doing, but we have them. In case of an emergency. Like when hubby's out running errands and I realize I forgot to tell him to stop at Starbucks on the way home. Yeah, like that.

7 comments:

Lindah said...

Oh, Kim, we think so much alike! lol I am now "armed" In Case of Emergency. But I rarely use it. (Which makes me thankful because I don't like emergencies.) Well, one time I forgot to turn off the backyard sprinkler, so I called dh to take care of it. Sheesh, I don't even know my cell number. It flashes across the window in too tiny figures too fast for me to read it. But dh has it. If he can remember where he wrote it down, because he never calls me on the cell. roflol Are we hopeless?

julieQ said...

Yeah, we all cave in after a while, and then wonder what we did without this little gadget!!

julie

Carol said...

It's a very good thing to have when you NEED it...I rarely use mine but when I need it I have it.

Unknown said...

Yup a good idea, just in case. My pet peeve with cell phones are those rude ignorant people who have them attached to their head in a resturant or the movie theatre. If I wanted to hear a phone ring or listen to a phone conversation I would have stayed at home. Grrrrrr. Ok I'm done, I'll get off my box......lol...

Kairle Oaks said...

Shoot...I thought you were going to list your new # at the end of your post so that we could all give you a call and welcome you into the 21st century! LOL!

Mama Spark said...

Muwahahahaha!! You will now become addicted to your cell phone!!! Welcome to the rat race, my dear. I LOVE my phone and use it all the time.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just had to leave a comment on this one, my daughter bought me a mobile (cell) phone three christmas's ago, I only used it to play the game on it and eventually it broke. I have now rejoined the workforce after an 11 year break and as I am casual they are pestering me to get a mobile...gee I might have to bite the bullet. One of my pet hates is people who talk very loudly on their phones...I don't wont to know their business and being in the customer service area find it so annoying that they expect to be served whilst not paying attention. There I have had my whine for the day lol.