Sunday, June 24, 2007

Quilting My Fingers to the Bone

This week, I've been working on quilting my monster quilt. There were two nights after work when I didn't get time to work on it, but despite those two nights, I've put in quite a few hours, mostly taking time off only for important stuff like working, eating, sleeping, and hitting good fabric sales. Here are a couple photos of my progress (and if you click on the photos to make them larger, the white lines you might see are just marking--they'll wash out):




I've really just gotten the center part finished. I'm quilting it pretty densely because (1) I like dense quilting, and (2) I particularly like dense quilting on pictorial quilts. My friend Eileen says I quilt a quilt to death. Or sometimes I applique a quilt to death. Or both. Eileen hand quilts though, so what does she know? I don't hear her offering to hand quilt this one! (Just teasing you, Eileen!) Next I'll start on all the small houses that surround the center quilt shop. These were signed and swapped by my online quilt group a few years ago.

I really need a name for this quilt because it's just too pretty to keep calling it "monster," don't you think? Any suggestions? Here's a photo of the whole top (and DANG you can see how much more I still have to quilt!):



Besides the swapped house blocks, the star blocks that make up the outside border were swapped by the same group. Depending on how the quilting comes out and the end result, I'm thinking about putting it in my guild's quilt show in October under the group quilt category. But we'll see how it goes. This one will take awhile. And can I just mention that the Roman Holiday fabrics I bought yesterday are whispering across the room to me the entire time I'm in the Sweat Shop quilting? They're jealous that I'm not paying them any attention. Or not much attention. Or at least TRYING not to pay them much attention, but I wish they'd just shut up. Otherwise, I'll have to stuff them in a bag and put them on the shelf! Just a warning . . . .

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love your quilt. The quilting is outstanding, even though Eileen thinks you do to much. You certainly do know how to put things together. Maybe you should consider designing patterns. You know a part time job to support that FQ habit. LOL!

atet said...

This quilt is absolutely stunning. Maybe "A Quilter's Home"? Ok -- so unless I'm working on the quilt I stink at naming them. Even when I am working on it I am pretty bad at times (says the woman whose daughter's baby quilt is named "Puke me up pink").

As for those Roman Holiday fabrics -- if they are anything like my Holly Jolly fabrics (and my 2 year old come to think of it) threats will not help. Neither will actually bagging them up and putting them on a shelf. They will simply scream louder.

atet said...

This quilt is absolutely stunning. Maybe "A Quilter's Home"? Ok -- so unless I'm working on the quilt I stink at naming them. Even when I am working on it I am pretty bad at times (says the woman whose daughter's baby quilt is named "Puke me up pink").

As for those Roman Holiday fabrics -- if they are anything like my Holly Jolly fabrics (and my 2 year old come to think of it) threats will not help. Neither will actually bagging them up and putting them on a shelf. They will simply scream louder.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that's a work of art!

~Bren~ said...

First off you can never quilt a quilt too much, this comes from a hand quilter ;0) The quilt is stunning and beautiful. A different name may be what you need for the label, however, to you it will always be "the monster quilt".

Carole said...

That's turning out sweet! I'd call it "home of the beast". That thing is huge! Thanks for sharing!

Valerie said...

Oh, I don't know, I think "The Monster" is quite endearing! Lol* I'm not sure what else I'd call it, but it is beautiful. It's so my taste! Hehehe :) (I thought I'd share that with you in case you're just not sure what to do with it! Winks!) Lol*

I also love dense quilting, it just gives a quilt a loved look I think. :) I don't think I'd want to hand quilt that puppy though! :)

Pat said...

How about "Welcome to MY World" since we obviously know quilting is at the center of it..lol.
Patty

Patti said...

You bet it needs a new name - it's a marvelous quilt! I've no suggestions though. I imagine by the time you finish quilting the entire thing it will have told you what it wants to be called.

Know just what you mean - I like my quilts quilted to death two. The quilting adds so much dimension because of the way it makes the light play over the surface of the quilt.

Anonymous said...

Oh my,you applique and hand quilt?? You truly are one talented gal. I love that quilt. It is great. Nice job.

MARCIE said...

Amazing quilt! I am so impressed! Maybe you should call it "Kim's Big Quilting Adventure", or "Kim Lives Here". Good luck with all that quilting.

Vicky said...

Yeah, what Marcie said!

That's fabulous! And big! You know, if it will help you any, you can send your Roman Holiday fabric over here, and I'll let them play with mine while we finish up our current projects! :)